— fengshui

Response to Campbell’s “No More Digital Facelifts”

First of all I wanted to say that I couldn’t really keep up with what Professor Campbell was talking about because his speech was very scattered. However, he touched on some parts here and there that I could comprehend. But the major idea that I got out of the video is to use technology as an advantage to augment and tap into our creative minds and build a community of interpersonal relationships on the web as well as enhance our technological skills. In my understanding, digital facelifting is the transferring and transforming written or spoken notes to the cyber world. While the idea of creating a domain and webspace at a young age sounds great, I can’t imagine what it would be like to have total reliance on computers for everything that we do in life. In this day and age people young and old have access to the computer 24/7, however, it seems too unreal to have complete dependence on computers. I can’t help but imagine what will happen when the virtual world takes over real life interactions. The point I am trying to make, is that although technology enhances various skills, we should also keep in mind to distribute a balance between interacting on the web and interacting face-to-face. With that being said, we are already very technologically advanced, especially in this generation, and we are evolving ever so fast in the cyber community. Professor Campbell’s article and video were both really thought-provoking and made me think of the possibilities of cyberinfrastructure.

Good night. V.