— fengshui

Thoughts on Web 2.0 Storytelling

When I first heard of Web 2.0 (which was in about a week ago in Jim Groom’s night class), I thought of the macintosh, iPhones, and friendly user interface. That was just a guess of what I thought Web 2.0 might be, and after reading the assigned articles, I realized that I wasn’t quite that far off, in fact, I was on the right track. In Tim O’Reilly’s article, he summarizes Web 2.0 as the next big step, or transformation from Web 1.0, which had a lot of the original components of Web 2.0 but less advanced. To better understand what I mean, refer to the chart in O’Reilly’s reading “Design Patters and Business Models for the Next Generation of Software.” From DoubleClick to GoogleAdSense, Ofoto to Flickr, Akamai to BitTorrent, etc, this chart depicts the progress from the technology we used to know (or in my case, had no idea it existed) to the technology we know now. I would also like to point out O’Reilly’s Web 2.0 Meme Map, which I thought summarized clearly what Web 2.0 is really about. Some key ideas from the Map were Flickr, tagging, Blogs, Wikipedia, Gmail, and Google Maps, all that is controlled by an individual. And I think that’s what makes Web 2.0 special, the fact that we are capable of creating, designing, and authorizing websites that belong to the human race. We basically are the force that drives progress behind the cyber world.

While O’Reilly gives us a definition of Web 2.0, Bryan Alexander provides an innovative idea, and enhances that idea to a whole new level. To be more specific, he uses the example storytelling to simply tell a story to a particular group, or to society in general. I have always thought that storytelling was just an old childhood memory of the past but certainly that memory has enhanced in a new light in this day and age. Through storytelling on the web, people are able to connect, share, and create ideas, stories, histories with each other. For example, a familiar site that we all use and explore daily is through blogs or character blogs, where “each blogger demonstrates a persona” as Alexander puts it. To me, I think blogging is really something special because it allows one to tap into his/her creative mindset. We use blogging to narrate a story to a given society, and one way or another, we relate to that story. I would like to touch on another note to which Alexander mentions ‘Twitter’ as “a site for trivial pseudo-conversation.” I actually looked up what that term meant and I came up with “From the System point of view it is a Multi Tasking operation but from the User point of view it is a Conversational method.” So by this definition, Twitter is a mode of making quick and easy conversations from person to person in just a mere moment. I have never thought of Twitter as a mean of storytelling but reading this portion of Alexander’s article made me realize that users of Twitter are able to get their (short) story out by the second.

The future of the web seems mind-numbing now that we are already in the age of Web 2.0. I cannot really fathom what’s to come next. Web 3.0?

source: http://ds106.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/0313387494storytelling-dragged.pdf
http://oreilly.com/web2/archive/what-is-web-20.html