— fengshui

Plinkett Review

So the movie I chose to critique is Fireproof. It was first suggested to me by my brother who thought and still thinks it is a great film. I took his suggestion and watched it with James via skype and we thought it was a horrible movie. Take a look.

Throughout the entire movie, James and I couldn’t help but shake our heads and gag at every single scene. Fireproof is a Christian drama film that tells the story of a married couple who are on the impending doom of filing a divorce. The husband, Caleb Holt, is a firefighter who lives by the motto “Never leave your partner behind”. Along with the bad relationship with his wife, Catherine, he struggles on a day-to-day basis of internet pornography and his decision on saving up for a boat worth $24,000 despite the fact his disabled mother is in need of a hospital equipment. 

Personally the movie didn’t appeal to me due to the lack of sophisticated filming. There were barely any effects or elements in the film that provoked emotion or catharsis in me. An aspect that I really dislike is the horrible acting. I didn’t get a sense of “realness” in the characters nor did I connect with them. I think that’s a major aspect the film lacked, that there was no connection between the characters within the film and the audience. A good movie would keep the audience in suspense or stir sympathy, but there was no emotional connection whatsoever. During one of the fight scenes where Caleb is screaming at his wife, I didn’t really feel any emotion because the way in which Caleb was yelling didn’t seem convincing or “real” enough and again, there were barely any effects or elements to reel me in. 

Another reason why I think this movie didn’t get enough credits is because of the fact that it is a Christian film. Not many people can relate to the way in which Caleb handled the relationship. For example, Caleb’s father offered him a book that would commit him to a 40 day test in attempting to win his wife back. Every day Caleb would perform an act of kindness towards his wife, such as making coffee in the morning or order roses for her. These acts seem ideal in nature but aren’t really relatable to ordinary people like you and I. In addition, the acting was really off and Caleb’s actions didn’t seem convincing to me. 

However, I will say that there is a distinct sincere message the film was trying to convey, despite the lack of technical elements and indecent acting, and that is marriage involves commitment. I did see this in the middle of the movie but it was hard to take the film serious when the acting was poor on its end. Hopefully I will not follow the same mistake for any future video/film productions.